The MG3 is a general-purpose machine gun chambered for the 7.62×51mm NATO cartridge derived from the iconic MG42 chambered in the 7.92×57mm Mauser. POF has been producing the MG1A3 a further improved variant with improvements made in all major components.
The MG1A3 produced by Pakistan ordinance factories POF is an open fully automatic weapon for sustained firing and firing in bursts. It is a “recoil-operated weapon” in which the recoil forces are used to feed and load the cartridges and to extract and eject the spent cartridge cases. A blank firing attachment which is screwed onto the muzzle instead of recoil booster permits the use of blank cartridges for training and exercise purposes.
Another interesting addition POF made was the POF MG1A3s have got a flass suppressor that increases accuracy and reduces recoil, this also helps conceal the firing position better.
* Caliber: 7.62 mm x 51 NATO.
* Feed device: Disintegrating and non-disintegrating belts (DM-1, DM-6, and M-13 kinks).
* Type of fire: Fully automatic.
* Operating principle: Recoil operated.
* Rate of fire: Approx. 1150 + 150 RPM.
* Sighting device: Open sighting, using front and rear sights from 200 to 1200 meters.
* Safety range in direction of firing: 5000 meters.
* Safety range left & right: 1000 meters each.
* No. of rifles/twist: 4 grooves with right hand twist.
* Muzzle velocity (Vo): 820 meters/sec.
* Muzzle energy: 3200 NM.
* Length of standard weapon: 1225 mm.
* Width of gun: 130 mm.
* Height of gun with ‘AA’ sight raised: 270 mm.
* Height of gun with ‘AA’ sight lowered: 205 mm.
* Length of barrel with locking piece: 565 mm.
* Height of muzzle with bipod unfolded: 300 mm.
* Weight of weapons with bipod & sling: 11.5 kg.
* Weight of weapon without bipod & sling: 10.5 kg.
* Weight of barrel: 1.7 kg.
* Effective Range: 800 meters (on bipod),2200 meter (on tripod).